Fixes to drivers/net/au1000_eth.c

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Fixes to drivers/net/au1000_eth.c
From: Josh Green <jgreen@users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:54:28 -0800
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 15:36 -0800, Josh Green wrote:
> I'm using latest linux-mips CVS kernel (2.6.10rc3) and GCC 3.4.2 on a
> AMD Alchemy DBau1100 development board (mipsel/MIPS32).  I wasn't able
> to find any other location to post bugs, so please let me know if there
> is a bug system or more appropriate place to post this.

I'm replying to my own post, since I discovered what was causing the
kernel oops with the au1000_eth.c driver.  The attached patch fixes 3
problems:

- The build problem with extern inline str2eaddr.  I just made it
non-inline, although I'm not sure if this is the best way to resolve the
issue.

- At the end of mii_probe(): aup->mii is checked to indicate whether an
ethernet device was found or not, this variable will actually always be
set, which leads to a crash when aup->mii->chip_info->name is accessed
in code following it (in the case where no device is detected).
aup->mii->chip_info seems like a better test, although I'm not positive
on that one.

- In au1000_probe() 'sizeof(dev->dev_addr)' was being used in memcpy
when copying ethernet MAC addresses.  This size is currently 32 which is
larger than the 6 byte buffers being used in the copies, leading to
kernel oopses.

If I should be sending this to the author of the driver or some other
location, please let me know. Best regards,
        Josh Green