Re: Au1000 Ethernet Driver using NAPI

To: ppopov@embeddedalley.com
Subject: Re: Au1000 Ethernet Driver using NAPI
From: Charles Eidsness <charles.eidsness@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:05:19 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Pete Popov wrote:

>Very cool, thanks. Is the patch for 2.4 or 2.6?
>
>Pete

Hi Pete,

It's for 2.6, I'm not sure if it will work on 2.4.

There are a couple of possible issues with this method that I probably should have mentioned in my first email. Since the Au1000 shares an interrupt for the TX and RX streams I had to lump the two together and as a result there may be an increase in TX latency. Also, the MAC's DMA can only queue up a maximum of 4 packets at a time so depending on how long the processor spends clearing out the queue there may be some buffer overruns. I've experienced neither of these issues but my testing so far has been pretty application specific.

Cheers,
Charles

http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/linux-au1000_eth.napi.patch