Re: 2.6 kernel & ide_ops

To: wlacey <>
Subject: Re: 2.6 kernel & ide_ops
From: Alan Cox <>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:00:46 +0000
On Mer, 2004-12-08 at 12:14, wlacey wrote:
> Forgive the stupid question but on the 2.6 kernel I cannot find an ide_ops.h
> header file and obviously the extern ide_ops structure.

The ide ops are part of the hwif (hardware interface) object.

> How should one go about specifiying an ide device in a 2.6 kernel

Assuming the device has standard behaviour and is just basic legacy IDE

        ide_hwif_t *hwif;
        hw_reg_t hw;

        memset(hw, 0, sizeof(*hw));
        ide_std_init_ports(&hw, IDE_PORT, CTRL__PORT);
        hw.irq = whatever;
        hw.dma = NO_DMA;

        ide_register_hw(&hw, NULL);

For DMA devices you need either to use the PCI layer functions or
register DMA handlers. Take a look at something simple like