Re: drivers/tc patch for DS5000/200

To: "Brian R. Gaeke" <brg@dgate.org>
Subject: Re: drivers/tc patch for DS5000/200
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:46:22 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Brian R. Gaeke wrote:

> Now, it is my understanding that, having a pre-REX PROM, the DECstation
> 5000/200 would not be able to successfully execute the REX calls
> (rex_gettcinfo(), rex_slot_address()) in drivers/tc/tc.c.  Therefore,
> I have found it necessary to use a patched kernel in my efforts to boot
> Linux on VMIPS (http://www.dgate.org/vmips), which has lately gained some
> (limited) DECstation 5000/200 emulation capabilities.

 They've got it wrong.  While there were a few DECstation 5000/200 systems
around 1990 that were shipped with pre-REX firmware, they were soon
updated to REX fimware under service contracts.  I'm inclined to believe
there is no /200 system with pre-REX firmware in existence anymore.  In
particular there are no entries for these firmware versions on the NetBSD
PROM list -- the oldest one reported is 5.3c which is already
REX-compliant.

> If you find this patch useful, you're quite welcome to it.  I'm also
> interested in hearing from anyone who has access to a 5000/200 who can
> tell me whether I'm right or wrong, as I only have old manuals and
> header files to work from.

 Real /200 systems work more or less correctly with Linux 2.4.  A port of
2.6 hasn't really started yet -- some drivers are broken.  The /200 is one
of the best documented DECstations.

  Maciej