dvhtool support for variable block factor...

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: dvhtool support for variable block factor...
From: "Eric Y. Theriault" <eric@eyt.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:23:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi--

I am presently working on devices with a non-512 block factor, and whilst the IRIX dvhtool supports this out of the box, I noticed that the Linux-based dvhtool does not.

Attached is a patch from Debian http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/dvhtool based on 1.0.1-4. I originally sent this patch to the Debian maintainer of the package (Guido), and he has requested that I send this patch directly to you.

The patch essentially attempts to detect the device's block factor, and then applies this. In the event that it cannot detect it, it will use 512 as the default. All of this can be overriden via the --blocksize parameter.

There is also a similar bug with fdisk's SGI header creation; are you also in charge of this? Do you know where I should send that patch?

If you have any questions, comments, or requests, please let me know. Thanks.

eyt*
--
Eric Y. Theriault
http://www.eyt.ca