Re: yosemite interrupt setup

To: Manish Lachwani <mlachwani@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: yosemite interrupt setup
From: Thomas Koeller <thomas.koeller@baslerweb.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:58:24 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thursday 21 October 2004 18:38, Manish Lachwani wrote:
> Hi Thomas
>
> No, these should remain in the Ethernet driver. Thats because no other
> driver depends on these. Those registers are MAC subsystem registers
> only. The ethernet driver does not do any interrupt setup for other
> devices.

Hi Manish,

first of all, forget about the yosemite, as I am no longer using it. I
am currently working on our own platform port.

All the components of the Ethernet/GPI subsystem interrupt the CPU
through the interrupt vector established by writing to the CPCFG0 and
CPCFG1 registers. So if I want to write a driver that uses one of
the GPIs, or the DUART, or a watchdog counter, or the two-bit interface,
or any other component of the subsystem, then this driver will be
dependent of the ethernet driver. Have a look at the manual if
you do not believe me. The titan ethernet driver is the only one to
use this interrupt _on_the_yosemite_, but this is only because all the
other components are not used at all.

The interrupt setup should definitly be in the platform - please reconsider
your position.

thanks,
Thomas

Thomas Koeller, Software Development