Re: crt1.o missing

To: thomas_blattmann@canada.com
Subject: Re: crt1.o missing
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:22:04 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 thomas_blattmann@canada.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 05:48:31PM -0700,
> > thomas_blattmann@canada.com wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to crosscompile a hello-world program but
> > it
> > > fails:
> >
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/2.96-mips3264-000710/../../../../mipsel-linux/bin/ld:
>  cannot open crt1.o:
> > > No such file or directory
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > >
> > > There are several postings in the archives but non
> of
> > > them helped me on so far. I will probably have to
> get
> > > the libc for mipsel-linux - but where can I get it
> and
> > > what to do with it ??
> >
> > You need to install libc; the crt1.o file would end up
> > being in
> > /usr/local/mipsel-linux/lib/crt1.o then.
> >
> >   Ralf
>
> Hi,
> what libc do I have to install and where can I get it.
> I have libc6 installed:
>
> inspiron:~# apt-get install libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> libc6 is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not
> upgraded.
>
> inspiron:~# apt-get install libc6-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> libc6-dev is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not
> upgraded.
>
> inspiron:~# uname -a
> Linux inspiron 2.4.26 #7 Thu Sep 9 17:11:08 CEST 2004
> i686 GNU/Linux

That's the host-libc6. You need a target-libc6.

tpkg-install-libc can do that for you. You need to install dpkg-cross and
toolchain-source first.  More information about this can be found in
/usr/share/doc/toolchain-source/ (toolchain-source is the Debian-recommended
way to build cross-compilers).

But since you're compiler is installed in /usr/local/ and dpkg-cross will
install libc6 in /usr, you'll have to add some symbolic links from (possibly
some parts under) /usr/local/mipsel-linux/ to /usr/lib/mipsel-linux/.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds