Re: Is there any means to use Cramfs and JFFS2 images as root disks?

To: "ªL«Ø¦w" <Mickey@turtle.ee.ncku.edu.tw>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Is there any means to use Cramfs and JFFS2 images as root disks?
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@embeddedalley.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:45:42 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
--- ªL«Ø¦w <Mickey@turtle.ee.ncku.edu.tw> wrote:

> Hello,
> I had successfully booted up Linux with an NFS root.
> Trying to boot up Linux with Cramfs and JFFS2 roots,
> I am wondering how to
> pass parameters to Kernel.
> I found that on some bootloaders, parameters are
> like these:
>     rootfstype = jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock3
>
> But YAMON doesn't seem to support MTD BLOCK.
> Therefore, how do I tell Kernel where the root image
> is on YAMON?

Yamon or any other bootloader doesn't have to support
jffs2 or cramfs. All it needs to do is pass the
parameters to the kernel.  Your parameters above are
incorrect. rootfstype=jffs2 will not be recognized.
The /dev/mtdblock3 is fine, assuming that you really
do have a jffs2 fs there. Then, assuming that the
kernel has jffs2 statically compiled in, it will
recognize the FS and mount it.

Pete