Re: 2.6 preemptive kernel on mips

To: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject: Re: 2.6 preemptive kernel on mips
From: Jun Sun <jsun@junsun.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:00:02 -0700
Cc: jsun@mvista.com, wsonguci@yahoo.com, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:15:04PM +0900, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:
> jsun> Try the latest kernel.  I checked preemption around 2.6.5 time
> jsun> and I believe all the obvious problems are fixed then.
>
> Hi.  Now I'm looking current (2.6.9-rc1) code.
>
> It lacks some preempt_disable/preempt_enable which were in
> preempt-patch for 2.4 kernel.  Are these all unnecessary at all?

They are necessary.

> For example, fpu-emulation is not preemptive-safe, isn't it?

That is correct.

I think the best thing to do right now is to go through
2.4 preemption patch and pick up the missing ones for 2.6.

It will probably take me a little given other things on my hand.
I strongly enourage someone else to take a shoot at it.  The latest
2.4 MIPS preemption patch seems to be

http://linux.junsun.net/patches/oss.sgi.com/experimental/030304-b.preempt-mips.patch

Jun