Re: Kernel 2.6 for R4600 Indy

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6 for R4600 Indy
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:48:37 +0100 (BST)
Cc: Thiemo Seufer <>,
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  I think we should either handcode all handlers explicitly or build a
> > single one dynamically, like we do for copy_page()/clear_page().
> That was the plan.
> > For now,
> > I'll just add the missing nop directly to the handlers.  Thanks for
> > working on it.
> Those nops are now cluttering the handler for all those processors
> that don't need it.  Great.

 Except that:

1. The handler is expected to be for R4000/R4400 only.  If it's used for
   anything else, that it's the anything else's maintainer fault.

2. The except_vec0_sb1 handler is one with the nop omitted, so it can be
   used for these processors.

3. Correct operation first, only then optimization.

4. Anyone please feel free to do a better fix.

5. Given the "gran plan" as referred to above, points 1 - 4 above are
   probably irrelevant anyway. ;-)