Re: Kernel 2.6 for R4600 Indy

Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6 for R4600 Indy
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:50:57 +0200
Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:54:19PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> >     Using a MIPS64 config (built using gas-abi=o32 as suggested by Kumba),
> > it doesn't even get that far:
> There is still a lot left broken - The attached patch fixes some obvious
> stuff with address space and mibs abi.
> Missing is a fix for ip22zilog.c which seems to be broken.
> With this fix the machines goes userspace (reverse engineered by sound
> of hard disk) but seems to die somewhere. Probably the same bug as seen
> on other archs - die on first fork.

The last problem happens only on r4000 and r4400, and occasionally
also shows up as "illegal instruction" or "unaligned access". It
turned out to be a broken TLB handler. I temporarily switched (for
32bit kernels) from except_vec0_r4000 to except_vec0_r45k_bvahwbug.
This may cause an avoidable performance loss, but at least it allows
my R4400SC-200 (V6.0) Indy to run current 2.6 CVS.