Re: Kernel 2.6 for R4600 Indy

To: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6 for R4600 Indy
From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:16:37 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

Stephen P. Becker wrote:
>>     Using a MIPS64 config (built using gas-abi=o32 as suggested by
>> Kumba),
>> it doesn't even get that far:
>
> This is certainly wrong.  What you really want is gas-abi=o64.  Take a
> look at the O2 minimum patchset at http://www.total-knowledge.com, as
> the arch/mips/Makefile changes are what you need.  Using a 64-bit kernel
> on your indy is pointless unless you want to run n32 userland anyhow.

Ahh yes... sorry, it was after midnight (GMT+10) and my mind must've
been elsewhere -- I meant o64.  I was planning on moving to either n32
or n64 userland eventually, but I won't do that unless I can get a
64-bit kernel going.

> As of this moment (may change in the future), 2.4 kernels are much
> better for ip22 anyhow.  Serial console, indycam, and sound all work
> properly in 2.4.  In 2.6, serial console is broken, there is no indycam
> support, and I'm running into some issues with sound where the cpu usage
> runs way up.

Right.  Luckily I've got a framebuffer that Linux can talk to and I
haven't got an indycam.  But the sound issue may be a problem, I was
thinking at one point to use this box as a jukebox, but at the moment
I'm experimenting with mips64 to see what it can do.

I'll have a look at those patches & the O2 documentation, that should
give me some leads into sorting out the issue.  It would be nice to see
if I can squeeze better performance out of the aging beast.
- --
| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project     -oOo-    http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |