Re: MIPS Magnum ARCsystem

To: Alec Voropay <>
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum ARCsystem
From: Dennis Grevenstein <>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:18:06 +0200
On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:41:13PM +0400, Alec Voropay wrote:
>  Great. I have a ACER PICA-61 (MIPS Magnum clone).

I have now tried using a normal AT power supply.
There is something moving, but I only see "F"
on the small LCD. Can you tell me more about this
little LCD? F seems rather early, but when I remove
the CPU I get "0".
>  Unfortunately, I can't run ANY OS on this machine.
> - Linux for this architecture was broken since early 2.2 kernel...
> - The OpenBSD/arc port has been discontinued after the 2.3 release.
> - To build a NetBSD/arc I need to install a full NetBSD cross
> development on the i386 host.
Cross compiling NetBSD  doesn't sound like a huge
problem. I would even cope with RISC/os if necessary.

There is certainly no purpose in remaining in the dark
except long enough to clear from the mind
the illusion of ever having been in the light.
                                        T.S. Eliot