Re: SGI O2 Prom modification

To: Glenn Barry <>
Subject: Re: SGI O2 Prom modification
From: "Robin H. Johnson" <>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:17:28 -0700
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 03:46:24PM +1000, Glenn Barry wrote:
> >AFAIK, this ability isn't too supported anymore.  The guy doing this
> >has apparently decided to quit.  While I'm sure this doesn't make such
> >modifications impossible, it likely makes them more difficult and more
> >expensive.
> This modification is currently being done with RM5200 boards and
> replacing the CPU. You can read more about it at
> The RM7000C @ 600MHx chip currently works fine in IRIX, sorry I should
> have specified that this isn't specifically related to Linux, I just
> thought that you people would have the best knnowledge of the SGI's
> outside SGI themselves, given that you've been able to port Linux to
> some of their machines.
Kumba and I do know all about the RM7000C work, as we are frequent
visitors to nekochan.

What Kumba was referring to what the mid-August post by ChicagoJoe (on
page 14) stating that the company that had been doing the BGA chip
replacement is not taking on any more work.

> >This would quite likely require direct access to the source code of
> >the IP32 PROM.  I think only IRIX developers have this access, and
> >there are likely license issues that would get in the way of modifying
> >such code to allow for detection of the RM7900
> Hmmm...given that the O2 line is discontinued I wonder if SGI would
> really object to having the code modified.
To get the PROM source, you'd really have to be in bed with SGI, as many
other folk from here have asked for a lot less and had no success.

Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     :
Home Page  :
ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639