Re: anybody tried NPTL?

To: David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com>
Subject: Re: anybody tried NPTL?
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@mips.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:19:27 -0700
Cc: Dominic Sweetman <dom@mips.com>, Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, Nigel Stephens <nigel@mips.com>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
David Daney (ddaney@avtrex.com) writes:

> All of this sounds good to me.  However my current concerns are how to
> make my code run on a mips32[r2] core with no floating point.  We are
> using several different systems with variations of this cpu type.
>
> So for me, making sure that a soft-float variant of the ABI is well
> specified is also important.  I suppose it would be to treat
> float/double values as appropriate encoding of 32/64 bit integer values.

Exactly - that's certainly what we do with o32 -msoft-float.  I don't
think there are even any corner cases to worry about.

We've recently made some major improvements to our soft maths library
to make it many times faster, but still IEEE-compliant.  It was
originally written by Algorithmics - a GPL'd version is used in the
Linux/MIPS kernel to handle FPU exceptions.  I should probably check
before saying for certain, but I think we will distribute this under
straight GPL conditions.

If we had the time to do it, I guess we should put it on one of the OS
project sites... but I'll cc: Nigel Stephens (who wrote it).  If it
might be of use to you (which seems quite likely) perhaps we could do
a deal to get it on a site somewhere?  Let me know if you'd like sight
of it.

--
Dominic