Re: Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system

To: Ralf Ackermann <>
Subject: Re: Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system
From: "Svetoslav Slavtchev" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:11:33 +0200 (MEST)
> Hello,
> I'm trying to get VGA output on a MIPSel system (MeshCube
> to work.
> The system uses a miniPCI ATI Rage VGA card (=> problem does not get
> initialized due to lack of system BIOS => hopefully initialized by int10
> XFree86 x86 emulator code).
> I've attached an USB mouse and keyboard but fail to start X due to
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
> My questions to those working with MIPS boards / on the Ruby/Linux console
> project are:
>  - 1. How to test the USB input functionality?
>       (I could test the mouse by doing: cat < /dev/input/mice
>       => any hints on doing something similar for the keyboard?)

not a guru here, but i hope this will help you
modprobe evdev
cat /proc/bus/input/devices
: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120003
B: KEY=4 2000000 2b803878 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: LED=7
cat /dev/input/event0
should give you some characters on typing to
the corresponding keyboard

>  - 2. Any hints on the missing /dev/tty0 stuff? (this is maybe
>       related to the console / keyboard stuff?)
> Any hints are welcome, best regards
>  Ralf

GMX DSL = supergünstig & kabellos