Re: Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system

To: Ralf Ackermann <rac@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject: Re: Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:04:58 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: linuxconsole-dev@lists.sourceforge.net, Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Ralf Ackermann wrote:
> I'm trying to get VGA output on a MIPSel system (MeshCube
> http://www.meshcube.org) to work.
> The system uses a miniPCI ATI Rage VGA card (=> problem does not get
> initialized due to lack of system BIOS => hopefully initialized by int10
> XFree86 x86 emulator code).

So virtual consoles are not working.

> I've attached an USB mouse and keyboard but fail to start X due to
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

>  - 2. Any hints on the missing /dev/tty0 stuff? (this is maybe
>       related to the console / keyboard stuff?)

Yep, that's the current virtual console. Do you have CONFIG_VT enabled? If yes,
probably the VC initialization failed due to vgacon failing. In that case, you
can try enabling dummycon (and hope X can wake up your graphics card).

BTW, there exists (depending on your kernel version) code in atyfb to
initialize the RAGE XL.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds