Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system

To: linuxconsole-dev@lists.sourceforge.net, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system
From: Ralf Ackermann <rac@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:02:28 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Ralf Ackermann <rac@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello,

I'm trying to get VGA output on a MIPSel system (MeshCube
http://www.meshcube.org) to work.
The system uses a miniPCI ATI Rage VGA card (=> problem does not get
initialized due to lack of system BIOS => hopefully initialized by int10
XFree86 x86 emulator code).

I've attached an USB mouse and keyboard but fail to start X due to

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

My questions to those working with MIPS boards / on the Ruby/Linux console
project are:
 - 1. How to test the USB input functionality?
        (I could test the mouse by doing: cat < /dev/input/mice
        => any hints on doing something similar for the keyboard?)
 - 2. Any hints on the missing /dev/tty0 stuff? (this is maybe
        related to the console / keyboard stuff?)

Any hints are welcome, best regards

Dr. Ralf Ackermann            _         rac@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de
Multimedia Communications |/ | | |\/|           Merckstrasse 25
                          |\ |_| |  |  64283 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: (+49) 6151 16-6138                Fax: (+49) 6151 16-6152
             http://www.kom.tu-darmstadt.de/~rac