Re: do_ri failure in cache flushing routines

To: G H <giles67@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: do_ri failure in cache flushing routines
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:31:33 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
G H wrote:

At the moment I don't have the board set up for using kgdb and it's complicated by the fact that we only have one serial console port. But I am looking into setting it up for kgdb now.

A single serial port will work fine.

As far as stressing the system, it doesn't have enough resources ( disk space ) to be able to compile the kernel, but we did write a simple program that would stress the system by spawning multiple threads, each one performing floating point calculations. With this test, top reported a load average of over 400 and we have seen no failure so far.

You can use an NFS mounted root fs to do native builds, assuming you have a native toolchain. That's an excellent stress test.

Pete

*/Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>/* wrote:

    G H wrote:

    > I've not had much response to this question so I would like to
    > rephrase it :
    >
    > Can anyone think of any possible scenario where do_ri could
    occur in
    > blast_icache32() ??
    >
    > Is this possibly a cache synchronisation problem ??

    Could be a hardware memory glitch. I would use kgdb to put a
    breakpoint
    there and see what the data in memory looks like when this happens --
    look for memory corruption, etc.

    Pete