Re: anybody tried NPTL?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: anybody tried NPTL?
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:08:56 -0400
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Jun Sun wrote:

I am looking into porting NPTL to MIPS.  Just curious if
anybody has tried this before.

I notice there was a discussion about the ABI extension
for TLS (thread local storage) support.  Before that support
becomes a reality it seems one can still use NPTL with the help of additional system calls.

A rough search of latest glibc source shows there is
zero MIPS code for nptl.  A couple of other arches
are missing as well (such as ARM)

Jun

All I've heard about this is that some kernel changes are (still?) needed, then just the glibc support along w/ TLS (Maybe compiler support?).

I believe I heard reports that the glibc people were looking to deprecate linuxthreads within a another release or two (but don't know specifics or anything), so it sounds like NPTL should be something to get working.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond