mips32 kernel memory mapping

Subject: mips32 kernel memory mapping
From: "Srinivas Kommu" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:49:13 -0700
Can a 32-bit mips kernel access beyond KSEG0 contiguously? I have a Sibyte 1250 with 1 Gig RAM, but only 256 MB is located at phyical 0x0. The rest is all located at 0x8000_0000. Does that mean the kernel can access only 256 meg contiguously? Do I need to enabled CONFIG_HIGHMEM to even reach the remaining RAM? It appears Highmem gives me only a 4 meg window at a time. Can't I set up a page mapping into KSEG2 for the rest of the memory? KSEG2 seems to be unused from what I read.

Since the user space has a 2 Gig address space, it should be able to access it, right? Does the kernel allocate from the whole 1 Gig when the process issues a malloc()?

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security.