Re: Help with MOP network boot install on DECstation 5000/240

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: Help with MOP network boot install on DECstation 5000/240
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:30:39 +0200
On Wed, 2004-07-14 14:51:35 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <>
wrote in message <>:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > While we are at it. I'll have to re-verify that, but my mopd is loosing
> > file descriptors if you ^A-F your box during a load.
>  Hmm, while I get what you mean, what is "^A-F" specifically?

Sending a break from minicom :)   That is, I just ask the MOP client to
stop loading.

>  Anyway, this may be true -- probably the server is still waiting for
> following requests to come.  A timeout might be a good thing to add.
> Unfortunately I don't have time to work on mopd ATM.  It would be good to
> do a serious rewrite and I plan to do that in the future.  No established
> plan, though.

Eventually I'll re-get all the sources and compile again. Adding a
timeout shouldn't be all that hard. It should be a matter of extending
the "connection" table by "last packet's recv/send time" and check this
table entry upon each new request.

>  Another problem which is already known is mopd dying when one of
> interfaces it's listening on goes down.

Haven't seen that, but my interfaces tend to not go down (at least not
until the whole machine goes down...).

   Jan-Benedict Glaw    . +49-172-7608481