Re: Help with MOP network boot install on DECstation 5000/240

Subject: Re: Help with MOP network boot install on DECstation 5000/240
From: "Collin Baillie" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:57:52 +0800
> [Thanks for *not* hijacking threads]

Sorry *blush*

> So it seems to try to get a file some times and gives up on it.

Oh.. I think it asks for the file, but the mopd server is not sending it. I
am only guessing though.

> Maybe you'd try Debian's install image?

Maybe, but on a _shared_ 31.2k dialup link, it takes a while to download...
and other people tend to get upset... I am using jigdo to get the 4 - 6 ISO
images.. if there's a better (smaller / faster to download) method, I'd love
to hear about it. I really would like to get to know Debian as I'm a
Slackware man and have had to use RedHat at work.. Debian would be another
nice addition to my Linux skillset.

> By the way, which mopd are you using? There are several of them around,
> some quite unuseable...

Umm.. 2.5.3. I downloaded one from, and applied all the
patches in the order listed in the spec file, but it doesn't compile. So I
compiled another 2.5.3 (79k as opposed to the 48k tgz file I got from and it compiles and responds, but still no file transfer. (I
am compiling/running on i386 arch, so I am wondering if all those patches
are necessary...)

I've read that MOP images usually have some special header in them (NetBSD
website) and someone mentioned that mopd-linux will fudge those headers if
the kernel doesn't have them... or something...

I am perservering with it, and will eventually get there... but for now, I
just thought someone might have more of a clue than I do.

Collin Baillie