Re: MIPS defines __kernel_uid_t as int?

To: Mika Kukkonen <mika@osdl.org>
Subject: Re: MIPS defines __kernel_uid_t as int?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 02:59:45 +0200
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:13:16AM -0700, Mika Kukkonen wrote:

> I was doing
>       $ grep __kernel_uid_t include/*/posix_types.h
>
> and noticed that MIPS is the only architecture that
> defines that to be signed (int) and not unsigned?
>
> Same with __kernel_uid32_t. Is this intentional
> deviation or just an oversight?

Intentional but with a really weak reason.  Linux/MIPS uses the same
type definitions as SysV rsp. the MIPS ABI in it's EFT (Extended
Fundamental Types).  Not a great idea in retroperspective but that's a
choice made 10 years ago.

I don't think we'd break anything by changing this.  Objections to
changing it?