Re: Dummy keyboard driver

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Dummy keyboard driver
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:11:53 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sun, 2004-06-20 02:03:48 +0200, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
wrote in message <20040620000348.GB23498@linux-mips.org>:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:38:30AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-06-19 22:09:23 +0200, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
> > wrote in message <20040619200923.GA22409@linux-mips.org>:
> > I (vax 2.6.x tree) don't even have that file, and there shouldn't be no
> > need for any kind of dummy keyboard. Either there's at least one
> > keyboard attached (multiple are fine, though), you get input. No
> > keyboard (driver), no input. Simple.
> >
> > Just drop it.
>
> I don't think the original reason for it still exists and even if it
> was it'd need to be rewritten and moved so I'm removing it now.

Right. Looong ago, you had to have keyboard driver if you had CONFIG_VT
switched on (because tty/vt core then referenced some functions for key
mapping and LED status setting), but those times are gone.

Today's dummy keyboard actually *is* the whole Input API. I think the
"direct" way of pumping data into tty/vt core went away around 2.6.1 (or
around that), when the parisc team ported their HIL and ps2-keyboard
drivers to Input API drivers or serio adaptors.

MfG, JBG