Re: "No such device" with PCI card

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: "No such device" with PCI card
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:38:59 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 2004-06-15 18:27:08 +0800, jospehchan <jospehchan@yahoo.com.tw>
wrote in message <20040615102708.42219.qmail@web16604.mail.tpe.yahoo.com>:
> Hi Dominique,
> Thanks for your suggestion and help.
> I've tried my VIA VT6212L USB2.0 PCI card on other
> Linux system(x86 based) (RedHat 7.2 + kernel 2.4.16).
> And it works fine under kernel 2.4.16 with an USB
> patch from kernel 2.4.26.
> So I migrated the system to MIPS, but I was stuck by
> this problem.
> Altough I'm not familiar with device driver, but I
> will try Jan-Benedict's suggestion.

Before I get mixed up by pure confusion, let's put all the facts on the
table:

- What kind of MIPS system do you use *exactly*? What board? Which
  kernel version? From where did you get your sources.

  Some hint right here:
        - If this isn't a very current 2.6.x CVS checkout from
          linux-mips.org, you'd consider getting that. I won't recommend
          anything else (possibly MVista has better ported kernels for
          some specific boards?).

- A USB2.0 card is IMHO driven by the ehci driver, but I may be wrong.
  I'm not exactly a regular USB user...

- Do you have output of "lspci", "lspci -v", "lspci -n", "lspci -vn" and
  "lspci -nxxx" at your hand, once from your i386 test machine, once
  from the MIPS board? Right, those commands mostly give the same
  output, but each style eases reading for specific values:)

- Does your MOPS board have working on-board PCI devices? These don't
  neccessarily have a PCI plug as you know them from add-on cards,
  because they're directly built into the chipset. For instance, does
  your board have onboard IDE interfaces?

MfG, JBG