Re: Kernel and monitor program

To: S C <theansweriz42@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel and monitor program
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:26:52 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, jsun@mvista.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:17:52PM +0000, S C wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Please pardon the newbie question, but I was wondering what a kernel in
> general expects a monitor program/bootloader like YAMON to do for it
> beforehand, if anything at all. I know the answer is very board specific,
> but if there are any generic things that a kernel expects ready for it
> before it starts running (caches initialized already? SDRAM control regs set
> up? Or maybe the kernel has no expectations at all?), I'd be grateful if
> someone could point them out.

This is almost an FAQ.  (although I don't know if I am giving the
same answer each time ;0)

. initialize system RAM and its controller
. copy kernel to RAM (in normal cases, unless you do XIP)
. initialize and enable cache
. (optionally) pass some args to kernel
. (optionally) initial some board hw.  This is really a negotiation
   between loader and linux board setup routine.

Jun