Re: help needed : cannot install linux on SGI O2 R5000

Subject: Re: help needed : cannot install linux on SGI O2 R5000
From: Max Zaitsev <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:59:36 +0200
Hi Kumba,

thanks for your tips. Actually, I've got some progress (after I've realised
why your kernels did not work) and found that the kernel from Glaurung
( has a framebuffer support and accepts
the netboot root (initrd image) from your distribution. So I've proceeded
building stage1 system, but got following errors while compiling GCC:
Bootstrap comparison failure!
insn-recog.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare-lean] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r3/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.3.3-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 533, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

gentoo-mips-20040426 portage #
I'm not sure if this is the correct list to *complain* though. I'm also
wondering if this can occur due to the version of kernel that I'm using.

Another question is more related to the gentoo philosophy: is it possible to
make bootstrap script to only finish things that have not been finished,
without repeating the whole thing before?

Thanks for your help,