TLS register

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: TLS register
From: Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:05:24 -0300
Cc: debian-toolchain@lists.debian.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,
Now that gcc 3.4 has incompatible ABI changes (on o32 mostly affecting
mipsel) I've been discussing with Thiemo if I'd be the right point to
take this ABI change as a possibility to additionally reserve a TLS
register.
He suggested $24 (t8) another discussed possibility would be $27 (k1)
which is already abused by the PS/2 folks for ll/sc emulation.
Another possibility would be to reserve such a register only in the
n32/n64 ABIs and let o32 stay without __thread and TLS forever.
Any feedback welcome.
 -- Guido