Re: problems on D-cache alias in 2.4.22

To: Bob Breuer <>
Subject: Re: problems on D-cache alias in 2.4.22
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:02:05 +0200
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 01:17:38PM -0500, Bob Breuer wrote:

> Changing that same place also fixes my problem.  However, I came across
> the mips cobalt patches and after applying a variation of the IDE cache
> fix from there, that also fixes the problem.  So it would seem that this
> is the same problem as already fixed in the cobalt patch, but showing up
> on non-cobalt hardware.
> flush_page_to_ram() was made useless around the release of 2.4.21.  I
> suspect that this was broken at that time, seeing how it is broken in
> 2.4.22 and 2.4.26.  From browsing the debian-mips mailing list archives,
> it appears that they have not had a stable mips kernel since 2.4.19,
> could this bug be the cause?  Are the recent Debian mips kernels still
> unstable?
> Would anyone with an unstable 2.4.2x kernel be willing to try one of the
> attached patches to see if the situation improves?

flush_page_to_ram has been deprecated since a long, long time and so it's
use in memory managment was no longer correct for all cases - MIPS was
basically the last major Linux architecture left using it.  Replacing
it with flush_dcache_page fixed those correctness problem and delivered
a major speedup.  So no sense in whining - flush_page_to_ram won't return.