Re: Linux Mips SGI O2 R5000 IP32 INSTALL

Subject: Re: Linux Mips SGI O2 R5000 IP32 INSTALL
From: Damian Presswell <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:29:55 +0100
Cc: Damian Presswell <>,
Hi Ilya -

thanks for coming back to me -

I have managed to build a root filesystem using the gentoo sources that you suggested - however -
I am unable to boot off the hardisk -
I have fdisked the first scsi disk, created a 50 meg vlhdr, where I have copied my pre-compiled vmlinux binaries - it appears to load and provide an entry point but then just hangs and goes no further - I have also added the original netboot vmlinux binary that I use to boot via tftpboot to the HD's volume header but it does the same thing - just hangs after the entry point -

I can boot the system using bootp(): and the kernel binary located in the tftpboot using root=dev/sda3 - but cannot figure why it doesnt seem to work off the volume header of the HD -

once again -

any help would be appreciated -

thanks wrote:

Use Gentoo.
Also, Glaurung's kernels are bit out-od-date. Use self-built
kernel from recent CVS. In worst case, use
one of Gentoo's kernel binaries.