Re: pci-ip27 memory ranges

To: Stanislaw Skowronek <sskowron@ET.PUT.Poznan.PL>
Subject: Re: pci-ip27 memory ranges
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:21:46 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:00:44AM +0200, Stanislaw Skowronek wrote:

> Why does the pci-ip27 driver register all memory resources (0UL - ~0UL)? I
> had to change it to the appropriate Xtalk window to get the kernel to
> recognize PCI at all.

The IP27 PCI code as it is in CVS is incomplete or even broken - however
fixing isn't entirely trivial.  The current workaround which I use - and
which due to being just an evil hack is not in CVS - to only scan the PCI
code.  The problem is the firmware does a very simple setup which hurts
performance very badly, so eventually Linux will have to do a full PCI
configuration for all PCI busses.