Re: 32-bit ABI

To: Stanislaw Skowronek <sskowron@ET.PUT.Poznan.PL>
Subject: Re: 32-bit ABI
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:48:58 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Stanislaw Skowronek wrote:

> True, the kernel is *huge* (some 7 MB). But there *will* be pointer crops

 Hmm, it depends on the number of drivers built-in -- my binaries are
usually around 3MB.  Or perhaps you should try strip? ;-)  You'll lose
symbol information for ksymoops then, though.

> if I'm using the xkphys, and I can't use ckseg0 because there are only 16
> kilobytes of RAM mapped there for exceptions. So I have to use abi=64. It
> does work for me, anyway.

 Sure, why wouldn't it?  Note, the current Makefile setup is intentionally
easily tweakable for a fully 64-bit build.

> I think it really should be a config option. Even if not actually
> user-selectable (why should it be?), it should default to 'y' for Octanes
> and 'n' for everything else :)

 Well, I don't need it to be selectable, but I'd set all systems to use
the (n)64 ABI unconditionally, and the next minute someone would complain.
;-)  Perhaps it can be unconditional for systems where the other setting
makes no sense at all.