Re: 32-bit ABI

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: 32-bit ABI
From: Stanislaw Skowronek <sskowron@ET.PUT.Poznan.PL>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:34:55 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
>  I know.  I build using (n)64 consistently for two years successfully --
> it's OK even with gcc 2.95.x.  Making a choice between the ABIs for gas
> user-selectable is on my to-do list for some time.  For now I think `make
> gas-abi=64 ...' is probably the easiest workaround, though you'll need to
> objcopy the resulting image to a 32-bit ELF file manually if your firmware
> or loader cannot cope with 64-bit ELF binaries.  Well, I don't like the
> automatic copy anyway -- it wastes too much disk space in the long run;
> perhaps as a compromise it should be user-selectable, too (ditto about
> SREC).

True, the kernel is *huge* (some 7 MB). But there *will* be pointer crops
if I'm using the xkphys, and I can't use ckseg0 because there are only 16
kilobytes of RAM mapped there for exceptions. So I have to use abi=64. It
does work for me, anyway.

I think it really should be a config option. Even if not actually
user-selectable (why should it be?), it should default to 'y' for Octanes
and 'n' for everything else :)

Thank you for all your explanations. My idea about modules was because I
noticed some int->ptr conversion warnings I don't like at all.

Stanislaw Skowronek