Re: few questions about linux on sgi machines

To: Alex Deucher <agd5f@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: few questions about linux on sgi machines
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:17:06 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:49:16AM -0700, Alex Deucher wrote:
> What about the PCI slots on o200?  Are they supported?

There's is PCI support but there's some problems, mosty because the
Linux support code isn't as nice as it should and we support only
glogic fibre channels and scsi cards and the SGI ioc3 currently.

Fixing that is in-progress but even then you could have problems with
most standard linux drivers because the pci hardware on all systems
using the bridge ASIC and it's sucessors (xbridge, pic) violate some
ordering contraints in the PCI spec.  The SGI folks doing the SN1/SN2
IA64 port have come up with workaround for xbride and pic but I'm not
sure they're applicable to IP27.