Re: CVS Update@-mips.org: linux

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: CVS Update@-mips.org: linux
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:20:45 -0700
Cc: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ralf Baechle wrote:

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:51:16AM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:

CONFIG_PCI_AUTO was meant to a board attribute.  It should not be changed
to be a choice at the first place.

And, the code is not bOrked.  In 2.4 it is a life saver for most MIPS boards
whose firmware do not do a proper or full PCI resource assignment.

drivers/pci can do that, you just need to supply a few board specific
functions, see for example arch/alpha/kernel/pci.c.
So pci_auto.c isn't only b0rked, it also duplicates code.
I guess I have different take on it, in line with Jun's. Before pci auto, I remember new boards going in without proper pci config support or with massive amounts of new board specific code. Take a look at the gt64xxx code (though I think it's been cleaned up a lot since then). After pci auto, adding pci support for a new board became trivial and I haven't seen anymore code duplication with new boards adding their own, complete, pci resource assignment routines. Pci auto was added a long time ago. If it has outlived its purpose, that's fine, but back then it was a major improvement to the mips pci subsystem, imho.

Pete