Re: questions about keyboard

To: Linux/MIPS Development <>
Subject: Re: questions about keyboard
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:36:09 +0200
On Wed, 2004-04-14 14:56:20 -0600, Xu, Jiang <>
wrote in message
> 2.  In the application, how can I know which input/event# the usb keyboard
> connects to?

You don't. You can

        - Hope that your keyboard is the one and only device...
        - Read /proc/bus/input/devices - there should be a "kbd" handler
          in the "H: " section
        - select() on all event* devices and just only process
          keypresses generated from "normal" keys.

> 3.  Is there some reference documents about how to read things from
> input/event# ? I mean such as how to read key event?

I don't think there's really good docu available, but it's really
simple. Just open all devices, select() until there's data available (or
just call a blocking read() on it). Something like this should work, but
you'd better add error checking to the open() call...

#include <linux/input.h>

ssize_t ret;
struct input_event my_input;
int fd;

fd = open ("/dev/input/event0", O_RDONLY);
for (;;) {
        ret = read (fd, &my_input, sizeof (my_input));
        if (ret != sizeof (my_input)

        if (my_input.type != EV_KEY)
        /* my_input.code and my_input.type now contain the key and
           press/release state; refer to the #defines in linux/input.h
           for the mapping .code -> ASCII value */
close (fd);

   Jan-Benedict Glaw    . +49-172-7608481