Re: mips gcc compile error : unrecognized opcode errors

To: Shantanu Gogate <>
Subject: Re: mips gcc compile error : unrecognized opcode errors
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:05:44 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Chris Dearman <>,
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Shantanu Gogate wrote:

> 1. I started getting some pretty weird unresolved symbol messages, which
> i figured was happening because it was not taking in libc.a and
> libgcc.a. This was happening although I had placed the libc.a and
> libgcc.a dir in the libsearch dir using the '-L' flag to gcc.

 You should have your libgcc.a in the directory gcc installation put it.
And you should have libc.a and other libraries in a library directory
recognized by gcc -- `gcc -print-search-dirs' should help.  Other setups
are possible, but this one should be the least troublesome.

> 2. So I gave the libc.a and libgcc.a path directly on the command prompt
> and it did build the binary file but gave warning that 'cannot find
> entry symbol __start; defaulting to 0000000000400090' I guess this is
> because it cannot find crt1.o or the other crt*.o files ?

 The symbol is defined by crt1.o for normal programs.  For MIPS this
startup file comes with glibc, so it should be in the same directory as

> So, maybe even though I have got the binary file, it won run properly
> since it 'defaulted' the start address to something.

 It won't run as it misses startup code.

> 3. My situation is like this : I have got the 'usr' directory from
> 'glibc-devel-2.2.5-42.1.mips.rpm' placed in a directory called
> '/work/GLIBC/' and I have 'sdelinux 5.03eb installed' on my redhat 7.3
> host machine. Can you guys tell me how I need to setup the Makefiles for
> that app so as to get a clean build ? If this is out of your domain can
> you point me to some resources (other than gcc man pages ;) ) which
> talks about setting up cross-compile environments ?

 If the Makefiles are sane as well as your development environment, then
all you need to do is to define CC to your cross-compiler.  This is
especially true if the program uses autoconf -- but you need to set the
host properly on the `./configure' invocation.