Re: linker script problem

To: Thomas Koeller <thomas.koeller@baslerweb.com>
Subject: Re: linker script problem
From: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:21:16 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Thomas Koeller wrote:
> Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > You haven't told what target you are compiling for. LOADADDR should
> > be defined in arch/mips*/Makefile for every subarchitecture.
>
> Thanks for the hint. My target is the PMC-Sierra Yosemite evaluation
> board. I found that this board has no entry in arch/mips/Makefile,
> which explains why LOADADDR is unset. Can you point me at some useful
> information about how to choose a sensible load address? Will the RAM
> base address do?

The documentation of the board should tell. Usually the first few pages
are already in use by exception handlers and firmware.

> Btw. if I get this right and want to contribute a patch, what are the
> rules for doing so? Would I need to provide some legal stuff (copyright
> assignment) first?

For the linux kernel there is no central instance holding the copyrights,
so no assignment is necessary. Of course, the patch must be licensed
under the same terms as Linux itself, which is GPL v2.

Thiemo