Re: mounting fs from memory

To: Andrew Frezell <dfrezell@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: mounting fs from memory
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:46:34 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:18:37PM -0500, Andrew Frezell wrote:

> 1.  Is there some way to protect the memory regions in RAM from linux
> just trashing it?  I saw a function add_memory_region in
> arch/mips/kernel/setup.c that seems to do something, does anyone know
> what exactly this does?

The kernel won't touch any memory below the kernel itself.  I consider that
a bug so will change that for now that's a save region to place something.
add_memory_region takes a third argument which can be BOOT_MEM_RAM,
BOOT_MEM_ROM_DATA or BOOT_MEM_RESERVED.  You should pass BOOT_MEM_RESERVED
for to tell the kernel that a certain region should not be considered
usable memory.  For completeness sake BOOT_MEM_RAM is free memory and
BOOT_MEM_ROM_DATA will be free at the end of kernel initialization so is
usually used to describe free memory regions which hold firmware data that
becomes useless after initialization.