Re: physical memory Limitation

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: physical memory Limitation
From: Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:56:25 -0500
Cc: sathis kanna <sathiskanna@yahoo.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ralf Baechle wrote:

We currently don't support compressed kernels.

For AMD/Alchemy boards we do, they work very well, and there
isn't any reason it can't be supported on others.  If you
use boot code like u-boot, you would also get some pretty
nice compressed kernel and initrd support (but the MIPS kernel
doesn't have a very flexible implementation of initrd support).
These features are very useful for embedded systems to maximize
resource utilization, to provide field upgrade, and fallback
recovery methods.

But if we were supporting it the limitation would depend on size of
available memory and how it's used at boot time, that is the limit would
depend on the exact system.

That's true.  For just a compressed kernel, size is no problem.
For initrd support, it's a little more of a challenge.  I have a
board with 128M of SDRAM and we regulary use 64M initrd images
for software install and upgrade.

Thanks.

        -- Dan