Re: indy r4000FPC kernel?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: indy r4000FPC kernel?
From: "Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski" <rathann@icm.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:42:05 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:12:58PM +0100, Joost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is this the correct list to be asking about kernel trouble?
> If not, i apologize for this lengthy piece of offtopic ranting :-)
>
>   I'm trying to get a working kernel on my indy, but 2.4.16
> seems to be as far as it will go. The 2.4.22 that comes with
> debian testing gives an error while booting so i decided
> to try and be adventurous and downloaded the 2.6 sources
> via cvs. The PROM in this beast is old i gues, it won't
> boot elf kernels, so i used the 'ecoff' tip on linux-mips.com.

Get a current version (branch linux_2_4) from linux-mips.org's CVS
and try that one. There have been some trouble with r4k processors
lately, but they seem to be resolved now. I'm running 2.4.25-pre6
at the moment. Oh, and use arcboot - it saves a lot of hassle.
You don't have to upload your kernel to volume header and you can
boot any ELF kernel image that is on any ext2/3 partition on your
system.

HTH

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann@icm.edu.pl>

Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling

Warsaw University  |  http://www.icm.edu.pl  |  tel. +48 (22) 5540810