Re: SGI O2 PANIC on mem=xxxM, and strange initrd behavior

To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: SGI O2 PANIC on mem=xxxM, and strange initrd behavior
From: "Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh" <ilya@theilya.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:18:23 -0800
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
As it is now, you are limited to 256M of RAM. pass mem=256M, or die ;-) I am working now on fixing that, but hit a brick wall in few places. We'll see by the end of next week though.

Also, pass console=ttyS0 to get serial output.

As for death after starting init, you may be running into problem
with R1[02]K, and your init just crashes in loop, or something like that. I get it from time to time.

   Ilya.

Robin H. Johnson wrote:

Hi,

I've recently picked up an SGI O2, 300mhz R12k, 512Mb RAM.
Playing with getting it working, using Ilya's minimal patches on top of
the LMO CVS HEAD, I noticed that it wasn't pulling up the correct amount
of RAM. I threw mem=512M onto the params, and found a kernel crash.

Boots mostly fine:
http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/~robbat2/sgio2/kernel.boot
Crashes:
http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/~robbat2/sgio2/kernel.crash
Decoded:
http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/~robbat2/sgio2/decoded.panic
Kernel config:
http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/~robbat2/sgio2/kernel.config

I've also got one weird problem where it never gets any further than the
init call to my busybox initrd.

Output using an old debian netboot initrd (from debian-mips-2.4.19.img):
serial console detected.  Disabling virtual terminals.  init started:
BusyBox v0.60.3-pre (2002.01.22-06:31+0000) multi-call binary

Output for using bleeding-edge Gentoo initrd that works perfectly for
an Indy and an I2:
init started:  BusyBox v1.00-pre7 (2004.02.10-08:42+0000) multi-call binary

In both cases, right after the init message, absolutely nothing happens.
I've tried putting commands in the linuxrc that would cause some
externally visible activity, but nothing.

I am wondering if it may have to with the virtual consoles (which I had
to turn off to get any serial output), but I doubt they are the problem.