Re: Problems with LCD panel & SCSI support with Linux 2.4.24-pre2 on Cob

To: Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org>
Subject: Re: Problems with LCD panel & SCSI support with Linux 2.4.24-pre2 on Cobalt Qube II
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:48:01 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:34:30AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:

>       Thanks for that, this fixes the LCD problem, it's working fine now.
>       If
> it's more dynamic, it looks like using devfs might be a better option --
> although I'm trying to avoid enabling stuff that enlarges my kernel (I'm
> at 600kB now).

Devfs is not going to be the solution, that much is clear.  It's
deprecated in 2.6 and in general enjoys the positive reputation of ebola
in most of the kernel community.  For 2.4 /proc/misc allows you to get
away without devfs, something that'll also work with 2.6.  In a more
general context it looks like udev is going to be the official successor
of devfs.