Re: MIPS Kernel size

To: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: MIPS Kernel size
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:57:26 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:43:25PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:

> Depends on what you consider "that small". Kernel size is a large
> issue for the Cobalt series due to the firmware limits (although
> Peter Hortons attempts at a Cobalt bootloader will hopefully help in
> this regard). Embedded stuff and PDAs is another field where 2.6
> currently seems to pose a problem.

I really hate that term "embedded" - it's very hard to define.  Anyway,
there's an increasing amount of so-called embedded systems with several
gigabytes of memory and even for much smaller system 2.6 is already
making 2.4 look pale.

The Cobalt case is special; it's firmware could almost be the definition
of the term crap ...