Re: Problems with LCD panel & SCSI support with Linux 2.4.24-pre2 on Cob

To: Karsten Merker <>
Subject: Re: Problems with LCD panel & SCSI support with Linux 2.4.24-pre2 on Cobalt Qube II
From: Stuart Longland <>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 05:34:30 +1000

Karsten Merker wrote:
| On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:01:10AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
|>   Just the other day, I dragged out the old Gateway Microserver I have
|>here (a rebadged Cobalt Qube II) with the idea of setting it up as a
| [snip]
|>January, 2004) -- This seems to have corrected the hard lockups I had
|>previously, however, the SCSI card still doesn't work and now the LCD
|>panel on the back no-longer functions.
| The device id for the LCD panel has changed in newer kernel versions;
| the minor device id seems to be selected dynamically now:
| static struct miscdevice lcd_dev = {
|         "lcd",
|         &lcd_fops
| };
| HTH,
| Karsten
        Thanks for that, this fixes the LCD problem, it's working fine now.  If
it's more dynamic, it looks like using devfs might be a better option --
although I'm trying to avoid enabling stuff that enlarges my kernel (I'm
at 600kB now).  At the moment, I'll see about putting a hack in the
scripts to recreate /dev/lcd at boot.

        Now to nail the problem with SCSI.

- --
| Stuart Longland           stuartl at |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719    |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Atomic Linux Project    <---> |
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -