Userland compilation breaking on _syscall5( )

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Userland compilation breaking on _syscall5( )
From: Wayne Gowcher <wgowcher@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:27:34 -0800 (PST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I am trying to compile some userland applications
against glibc 2.3.2 compiled with 2.4.24 headers, but
any userland app that uses calls to _syscall5 fail to
compile. With the usual error being

parse error before "2nd argument".

So for the case of util-linux's fdisk utility, the
error is:

llseek.c:42: error: parse error before "_llseek"

and offending piece of code :

static _syscall5(int,_llseek,unsigned int,fd,unsigned
long,offset_high, unsigned long,
offset_low,ext2_loff_t *,result,
               unsigned int, origin)

I have previously compiled the same userland programs
against glibc 2.3.2 which has been compiled against
2.4.22 headers and all apps compiled OK.

I looked through cvs to see where things could be
going wrong and I am hazarding a guess that the
following change is responsible ( ?? ) :

Redo unistd.h files along the lines of 2.6.  So the
two files are now
identical and no more __NR_<random_ABI}_ prefixes,
just __NR_ as it
is expected by various user space packages.  This will
require some
adjustments in libc but I think it had to be done ...

If this indeed the cause of my problems could some
point me in the right direction as to how I should
patch glibc to accomadate the asm/unistd.h file change
???

Or if the above is not the problem, anyone know what
it is ??

TIA

Wayne