Re: linux 2.4 and Indy

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: linux 2.4 and Indy
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:40:34 -0500
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Jorik Jonker wrote:
Hi,

I'm having big trouble getting linux 2.4.* to work on my SGI Indy. I want to
use my indycam, and thus compile a kernel with support for that. The problem
is that all the kernels I built do boot, but freeze some moments after
starting the init process. The only kernels that do not have this problem are 2.4.16 and 2.4.17, but they do not have proper VINO support (they lack the
i2c algo-sgi part).
Is there some patch flying around to fix this, or do I just have bad luck?

Check out a cvs tree no later than 12/11/2003, a change in CVS after that date seems to have nuked r4k kernels. It is believed the change in question is:

http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-cvs/2003-12/msg00031.html

I've not yet been able to find a 'clean' way to remove the changes to those specific files in that commit while keeping all the changes made afterwards intact to test this idea.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond