Removal of ____raw_readq() and ____raw_writeq() from asm-mips/io.h

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Removal of ____raw_readq() and ____raw_writeq() from asm-mips/io.h
From: Kevin Paul Herbert <kph@cisco.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2004 17:58:31 -0800
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
In edit 1.68, the non-interrupt locking versions of
raw_readq()/raw_writeq() were removed, in favor of locking ones. While
this makes sense in general, it breaks the compilation of the sb1250
which uses the non-locking versions (____raw_readq() and
____raw_writeq()) in interrupt handlers.

Personally, I think that it is very confusing to have so many similar
macros with similar names and increasing numbers of underscores, so I
don't really have a problem with this. I've modified
arch/mips/sibyte/sb1250/time.c and arch/mips/sibyte/sb1250/irq.c to use
the __ versions and have a few more instructions of overhead.

My question is whether this removal was intended or not, or whether
there are some other changes to the handlers in the sb1250-specific code
that got dropped somewhere.

If the consensus is that the ____ versions really should perish for the
sake of simplicity, I'll send my simple patches to the list to fix the
sb1250 build.

Thanks,
Kevin
--