Re: Solving the cross-compiler issue (Was: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-

To: Nathan Field <ndf@ghs.com>
Subject: Re: Solving the cross-compiler issue (Was: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler)
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:12:09 -0500
Cc: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:32:23PM -0800, Nathan Field wrote:
> This email is a bit long so here's the short version:
>       Building cross tools is basically impossible without knowledge
> which isn't available on the www.linux-mips.org web site
>       glibc seems to have obvious syntax errors and won't even compile
>       The prebuilt tools referenced in the FAQ are so out of date
> they're useless
>       Even tools provided by various commercial Linux vendors are out of
> date (at least what MontaVista lets us see in their preview kits)

Try a different preview kit.  I'm told that some of the MIPS preview
kits were updated for 3.0 and some weren't, and that's all I know about
that.

>       This could all be solved if someone wrote a script to do all the
> work which contains all the logic necessary to get a known set of tools to
> build
>
> I've written a script which will do all the work, but because there are

You _HAVE_ looked at crosstool, right?  Which does all of this, and
does work?

> sscanf (s, format)
>      const char *s;
>      const char *format;
>
> Doesn't match the function, and it should be:
>
> sscanf (const char *s, const char *format, ...)
>
> Does no one even bother to test to see if these things compile before they
> are released? I've had similar syntax error type problems when building
> several older (2.2.x) versions of glibc for PPC.

Come on, think.  Glibc 2.3.2 was released before GCC 3.3.  It built at
the time; if you use GCC 3.2 that will compile.  If you want to use GCC
3.3, then use a newer CVS snapshot of glibc.  Which I recommend, but is
still not for the faint of heart.  If you're just trying to build a
kernel as you said later, why are you building glibc anyway?

> Anyway, after I fixed that I now get a link failure:
>
> /space1/ndf/linux/mips/tools/glibc-build/elf/ld.so.1: undefined reference
> to `elf_machine_rela.7'

Google will be delighted to explain the controversy of
-finline-limit-10000 to you.  Or use crosstool :)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz